Handvo – Gujarati Recipe
• 2 cups Rice
• 1 cup Toovar Dal (Arhar)
• 1/4 cup Urad Dal
• 1/4 cup Split Green Gram (Green Moong Dal)
• 1/4 cup Split Bengal Gram (Chana Dal)
• 1/4 cup Wheat (optional)
• 1 cup Sour Curd
• 2½ cups White Pumkin (Lauki) (grated)
• 4 tbsp Oil
• Juice of 1/2 Lemon
• 1 tsp Soda-bi-carb
• 2 tbsp Sugar
• 1 tsp Chilli Powder
• 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
• 3 tbsp Green Chilli-Ginger Paste
• Salt (to taste)
• 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
• 2 tsp Sesame Seeds (Til)
• 2 tsp Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
• 1/2 tsp Asafetida (hing)
• 4 tbsp Oil
How to make Handvo:
• Wash rice and all the lentils (dals). Soak them for around 4-5 hours. Now, drain the water and keep them aside.
• Using the grinder, make a paste of the rice and lentils and pour sour curd into it. Mix well.
• Keep the mixture overnight, to let it ferment.
• Now, take a large bowl and put the oil in it. After it gets hot, add green chili-ginger paste and saute it for a few seconds.
• Add wheat, grated pumpkin, soda bi-carb, chili powder, sugar, lemon juice, salt and turmeric powder to the pan and mix it well.
• Take a greased thali and pour this batter in it.
• Now, take a saucepan and heat 4 tbsp oil in it, to prepare tempering.
• When the oil is hot, put mustard seeds in it and let them crackle.
• Now, put asafetida, sesame seeds and ajwain and fry them for a few seconds.
• When the sesame seeds turn brown, pour the mixture over the prepared batter.
• Bake the dish in a preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes at a temperature of 200 degree C (400 degree F).
• When the crust turns brown, it means that your handvo is ready to eat.
Share the post "Handvo – Gujarati Recipe"